Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Lo-Mein

I made this lightened up version of shrimp lo-mein from my million dollar magazine last night. It was super easy, the hardest part was peeling garlic! The recipe was very simple and very tasty despite it's limited ingredients. In case you want to give it a try, I've shared the recipe from "Eat This" below - it comes in at about 300 calories per serving. Enjoy! 





Ingredients
12 oz lo mein noodles (or whole wheat spaghetti - I found they had about the same calorie and carb content)

1 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil (I used sesame oil and garlic olive oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used way more than suggested because I LOVE it!)
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger (I omitted this as I can't stand it)
4 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped

4 oz shiitake mushrooms (I omitted as I somehow didn't think the recipe called for them - oops!)
2 medium carrots, cut into thin slices
½ red bell pepper, sliced
¾ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp oyster sauce (I used 1 tbsp and found it tasty!)

2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce

Directions
1) Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions.

2) In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over high heat.


3) When the oil is lightly smoking, add the garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and stir-fry for 30 seconds, until lightly golden.


4) Add the mushrooms, carrots, and bell pepper, and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, using a metal spatula to keep the vegetables in near-constant motion.


5) Toss in the shrimp and cook until just pink and slightly firm.


6) Add the cooked noodles, oyster sauce, and soy sauce to the pan.

7) Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until the sauce is thickened and covers the noodles in a light sheen.

8) Divide the mixture among 4 plates and garnish with the scallion greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...