Wednesday, January 22, 2020

AFI

This weekend I tackled two movies from the American Film Institutes (AFI) top 100 list.  Not wanting to brave the cold to go out Saturday night, I opted to watch Platoon at home and then Sunday went to the theater to see the classic presentation of An American in Paris. These movies, by subject alone, are at two different ends of the spectrum and separated by 35 years of film technology. 

While I thought Platoon lasted too long (for my liking) I got the gist of the movie, the loss of innocence, right away. It was definitely a thought provoking film and well done over all. I appreciated Charlie Sheen's character narrating the film through letters to his Grandma, which hammered home the sentiment of the story line. 

In contrast to this war movie, An American In Paris was a lively dance musical, love story. I believe this is the first time I've seen Gene Kelly in any movie and came to appreciate his talent (and looks) immediately. While I enjoyed the light heartedness of the movie, along with the colorful scenery and costumes, I didn't like the 17 minute dance sequence at the end nor the fact the story closed without resolution to his character's art career. 

Despite the differences in these two movies and my opinions of them, I still appreciate this mission that I am on, to watch all 100 of the AFI's top rated American films. This goal has shown me many movies that I would not have sought out on my own, but have enjoyed. These movies have also helped provide many date-nights with the husband, shown me where some of our cultural quotes and references have come from and given me conversation topics with my father in law numerous times! Who would have thought it?

PS) In case you're wondering, I have 42 more movies to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...