Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for Responsible

Responsible: 1) Having an obligation to do something as part of a job or role.
2) Being the primary cause of something and so able to be blamed or credited for it.

Sometimes I hate being responsible. I dislike paying my bills, and hate doing laundry. And I really don't like being the "oldest" person in the group; meaning, being forced to be the responsible one in any given group of people. Sometimes I just want to be the "goof off" who doesn't have to think, plan, or be responsible for anything. If only I could train my cat to do laundry and use the internet to pay bills (damn useless cute animal).

Response-Ability:1) The ability to respond and take power over any circumstance.

But what happens when you take that not so fun word "responsible", and change it up just a bit? I like, "response-ability", or "the ability to respond" much better. I don't want to be the cause or "blame" of something or to be obligated. Rather, I prefer to take power over my ability to respond to the things in my life, like the bills that come in the mail.

Maybe this is just more optimistic rambling and mere technicalities of grammar, but think about it. Think about all the people who don't have the ability to respond. Their voices may have been quieted with age or their bodies may be worn away by time; but I still have the ability to respond both physically and mentally to any given situation, good or bad, and that my friends shouldn't be taken for granted. So let's get out there today and see what we are able to respond to! Go ahead, take a positive stab at life and all the responsibilities it holds for you! Respond positively and exercise your abilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...