Maybe I'm too optimistic but since 2014 hasn't had time to "go south" on me yet, I find myself still happily drunk with the new year's optimistic buzz. I'm working on making changes both internally and externally, and am returning to doing things that make me happy but I recognize that the complaining habits of others may die hard. So, to help you guys out, the nay-sayers, the pessimists, the "all too happy to complain" complainers, below are 5 tools to help you have an awesome 2014!
1) Get a self help book. Here's one: "Get a Life That Doesn't Suck". This book gets a 5 star rating after all, and it even assures you that, "Life can really suck. But it doesn't have to. With the help of esteemed consultant and coach Michelle DeAngelis, life can really rock. DeAngelis serves up a combination of street-smart wisdom and cheerful irreverence as she shows readers how to enjoy the "ride of their lives," regardless of the roadblocks...".
2) Helping others is one of the best ways to make you feel better about yourself. If you are reading this, I'm assuming that you are not hungry, nor homeless, and are not too impoverished since you're connected to the Internet. So, why don't you help out someone who is? Check out the Volunteers of America website and lend a hand.
3) Science has proven that just 20 minutes of walking can help elevate your mood. And, since I'm assuming you have all your appendages and can do anything you want, I'm suggesting you get off your butt and do it. Move. Do something. Do anything. Go to the gym, go for a walk, get outside and just feel better. And remember, there are people with far less (physically) than you, that do more than you. So what's your excuse?
4) Get some sleep! See, I'm not asking for much, just go to bed! It was found that, "sleep-deprived people fail to recall pleasant memories, yet recall gloomy memories just fine.". I love my Sleep Number bed, and highly recommend it. To sweeten the pot, you'll be excited to know that they (Sleep Number) are currently offering the lowest prices of the season, AND 18 month interest free financing! Please let them know I've sent you their way because I'd love to earn referral gift cards, and ultimately deal with a happier version of you!
5) Smile! And not one of those fake smiles, either. Rather, I'm asking you to think about something that makes you happy and genuinely smile. I know, I know, I might be asking for the impossible here. But come on, there has to be a childhood memory, a trip or vacation that sparks a fond memory that you can smile about? Don't have anything to be happy about? Really? Not even pushing your sister down the stairs as a youngster? Fine. Take a look at this little guy below. He (or she) is definitely wishing you a happy and positive 2014!