Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Half Time

I may be one of a very few, but I really didn't like the Superbowl half-time show this past Sunday. I do like both Shakira and J-Lo individually and think they have great talent, amazing confidence and phenomenal athleticism but the show? Let's break it down. 

First off, knowing everyone lip syncs doesn't bring any value to the table for me and I was completely unimpressed by Shakira's tongue wagging mid song. The tongue wag and shrieking (turkey gobble sound) I understand can be used as an Arabic sign of happiness, kind of a war-cry if you will, but it came off ridiculous looking (and sounding) in the middle of one of her songs. To the average person, the half naked lady bouncing around the stage sticking her tongue out does not look like a professional that you'd want your daughter to emulate.  

Then there is the dancing. I thought the dancing took over the show and maybe that was the point? But I didn't like the fact that each singer seemed to have 15-20 other dancers on stage with them and felt like I was watching a high school dance competition versus a concert-like performance. Now, don't get me wrong, both women are great dancers with ridiculous endurance, I am not knocking their ability. I just didn't care for the dancing and would have preferred more "singing". It just missed the mark for me.

And finally, the outfit. Good heavens J-Lo. Yes, you have an amazing body that you work hard for, no doubt about it! But when bending over during her first song the outfit that was underneath (the second layer) was showing. I had to stop to question what was going on in her nether-regions and could only assume it was a potential wardrobe malfunction or shoddy design. When bent over with full butt in view it looked like a feminine product was hanging out of her underwear! It was not sexy. At least not to me. Gross!

If the NFL was working to attract and entertain guys by showing scantily clad, beautiful women shaking their money makers all over the stage then their goal was achieved successfully and more power to them (I guess). If the NFL wanted to showcase two power-house women at the ages of 43 and 50 owning what it is they do, then they nailed it. But, if the NFL's goal was to show pure talent that stands on it's own merit, doesn't need 20 other dancers to blouse-it-up then they fell short and should have brought back a stand alone performer such as the likes of Prince or Jon BonJovi, just sayin'.

So there you have it. The opinion that doesn't matter or change the world, but gave me something to blog about today! What are your thoughts on the half time show? Who would you like to see on stage next year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...