Thursday, August 20, 2015

Bye Felicia!

I'm taking a hiatus from Facebook and honestly, I thought I'd miss it more than I have. Of course, take that with a grain of salt since I'm only 4 days in to my "cold turkey" descent but so far, so good. I don't miss the frustration of seeing negative news, lost or missing people, or depressing personal posts from people who refuse to change their circumstances. I don't miss waiting for validation from others (getting "likes" on a post) or trying to figure out why a post wasn't popular. I won't miss receiving questions about my posts and I surely will not miss the ridiculous algorithm that constantly changes my data feed from "Most Recent" to "Top Stories". (First world problems, right?)

I am not sure if I can go a full year without Facebook, but between this blog and Instagram and other avenues of life to stay busy with, I'm surely going to give it a run! I just read this article about why Facebook is bad for you and have to admit, a lot of points hit home for me. 

I'm not here to start an anti-Facebook revolution. I won't try and convince you to leave it. I have no problem with people (including myself) being on it. But what I've had problems with is the site becoming addictive and really, a time waste. It also became, for me, a replacement for real news, and in general a place of negative emotions and irrelevant dribble. So yep, see ya in a year or so Facebook? Bye Felicia!

4 comments:

  1. Shared introspection like this is really what improves lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss you. It's the only way I've been connecting with you lately. :( By the way, have you seen this missing dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Seriously Erin!
      We'll keep in touch in lots of other ways - I have faith!

      Delete

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...