Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Day 225


You know what is just the best thing ever? Ok, one of the best things ever? Receiving a random phone call from a friend who is not known to call you and although you miss the call, the voice message left behind is amazing. 

I met Linda on a, now annual, group scuba diving trip 3 years ago and spent a week with her. We don't dive, but we run, walk, shop and talk a lot while our significant others do their diving stuff. So far, we've met up on three such trips which means I've spent all of 21 days getting to know her over the past 3.5 years. Despite the short amount of interactions, we just click. She is a mother figure, mother Earth type of soul, inspirational, yet real and vulnerable woman not afraid to share her experience and strength so that I may learn and do well. She listens. She hears. She in a word is simply, amazing. She's a soul mate. Yes, I believe soul mates come in all forms, both friends and lovers and that you can indeed have more than one. She challenges me. She changes me. Best of all, I know she loves me - and that's an awesome thing to know and truly feel in these hard days. 

If you're anything like me, or a victim of being accustomed to the digital age, you may have lost your desire or even nerve to make or accept phone calls these days. We get stuck in the comfort of texting versus talking. Most of us are out of practice of having real, live conversations and text instead of call. Let me tell you though it's no substitute for a warm, live voice. I challenge you, as well as myself,  to pick up the phone like we used to and dial instead of text. You never know who needs to hear your voice, if even just in a voice mail. What are you waiting for? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...