Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Day 326

"See how many dead plants you've been watering." is a recent quote I heard. The context behind it was to stop reaching out to people via text, calls, emails or however you communicate and see if they reach out to you when (or if) they feel your absence. If they don't reach out to you or miss you, then you know you've been pouring your energy, your water, onto a dead relationship. While I do find this profound, I don't know that it's 100% accurate. 

Yes, communication and relationships are a give and take. Sometimes however, it's more give than take, there's never a perfect balance I suppose. I have some friends who I know love me dearly, but suck at reaching out. It's just not their thing. I accept that and we know where we stand with each other. There are other, less established relationships however that this quote hits hard with. I know some people only want to hear bad news and encourage the quote "Misery loves company". Those are the plants, the relationships, that need to feel the water shortage immediately. There are also those relationships who enjoy being watered, but never bloom. You know, the people who don't mind hearing from you but the conversation is all about them and then ends without any inquiry about you, your life or well being? Just stop watering!

Besides relationships though, the more I think about it, this quote can and should be applied to habits. Bad habits. Stop watering, stop encouraging, stop repeating bad habits. Let them die. Of course, easier said than done but here's your (my) reminder to do so. Like the statement below says, water what is alive and keep moving forward! Happy Wednesday my friends. Get to weeding out your garden! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...