Saturday, December 26, 2020

Day 287

How was your Christmas? Are you relieved that it's over? Sad it didn't last longer? Dreading the clean up and tearing down of holiday decor? I think I may feel a little bit of everything stated here. As we get older, the holiday magic seems to get replaced with holiday responsibilities of things to accomplish or provide.  

I made sure to take time to remember the reason for the season and paused numerous times to give thanks for all I've been provided with throughout the year and not just the pretty wrapped packages under the tree. Christmas time is a balancing act for me. While I want to provide the perfect, "Hallmark" experience for my loved ones, especially the teenagers in my life, I want to insure that they know why we celebrate the holiday. If they choose not to accept the religious value behind the 25th, I want them to at least be able to have some historical reference for it. 
It seems it gets harder and harder to impress upon the younger ones that Christmas isn't all about what comes from a store. As the Grinch would say, perhaps Christmas means a little bit more. Whether that "little bit more" is God, peace, family and togetherness or something else entirely I hope that with age, they will come to know and feel "a little bit more" in their hearts, at Christmastime and always.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...