Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Day 169

Well here we are. It's a new month and another day surviving a changed reality due to COVID-19. Do you feel that today, September 1st, is a fresh start for you? As I plan my intentions for a new month and set goals, I stumbled upon this quote. 

"The world has slowed down so you can rediscover yourself." 

Of course, if you've read any of my posts you know me and my love of a good quote! Similar to the part of the quote that states "you can rediscover yourself", I've blogged about some of the accomplishments I've been afforded during the past 169 days due to the "slow down" of society. I've been enjoying a more active lifestyle (now running 3-6 miles at a time versus 0), I've taken up the game of golf (or something like it) and have made deeper connections with friends who I may have been "too busy" for previously. While I miss some (not all) of my old "normals", I like this version too. But speaking of "old normals"...

My "old normal" was pretty stressful with very little allowance for "me time" (any thing or activity where my mental sanity came first). But then I read another quote...

"If you don't come out of quarantine with a new skill, your side hustle started or more knowledge - then you never lacked time, you lacked discipline."  

...and I have to say my opinion is it's still lack of time, not discipline. Society's expected schedule does not set up most people to succeed. The previous rush to the gym at 4am, rush home to shower and get ready for the day, get kid and family up, rush to the bus stop, rush to work, rush home for work, make dinner, clean up dinner and basically pass out on the couch for an hour before doing it all again, yeah that sucks. That has got to suck for anyone and it doesn't leave much time or energy for anyone to have "disciplined" activities. I don't think, barring altering other people's schedules, that I could have accomplished golf lessons on my previous schedule. 

With the current changes in my schedule, I no longer have a two-way, 45 minute (90 minute total) commute. I am no longer rushing anyone off to a bus stop or brick-and-mortar school building. I get close to two hours of "extra freedom" in my day now. I've managed to use those hours to better myself, absolutely. I read more, I run more, I golf more, I take better care of my health. Oh, and in between work sessions at home I can do small activities and chores around the house as well. Getting up for a potty break? Ok, throw a load of laundry. Getting up to find a snack?  Organize items for dinner later or take out the trash. The little daily tasks add up to extra free time later, too. 

So was it really a discipline issue stopping me from reading or playing golf before? I'm sure some will say "where there's a will, there's a way", but again, society isn't built for that (in my opinion). I tried reading at bed time but was too exhausted. I tried reading on lunch breaks at work but found the activity would lull me to sleep (not good!). Now I read in the mornings before my day gets started and the only way this would have happened in my previous existence would have been for me to get up at 3am. Umm, no. 

Ok, so what's my point? All in all, I really hope that if you've been allowed a schedule change during these times, that you've been able to add something of value to your life because of it. Whether it's meditating, taking up a new sport or hobby or spending more time with loved ones (if even just virtually) I hope that you can rediscover something you've missed or discover something you've longed for. What are your goals for September? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...