Saturday, June 27, 2020

Day 103

I appreciate when a healthcare professional shows compassion far beyond and above their scope of requirement or expectation. No one enjoys going to a doctor or having "procedures" done. No one wants to pay for a doctor's visit that ends with you being poked and prodded. And sadly, most physician visits are "business as usual" and results oriented. As they should be. For the most part. Or, maybe not really at all.

Sure doctor's have jobs to do and push forward with seemingly no emotion and a far lacking bedside manner. They have their reasons. I get it. But I was grateful for my recent encounter with Hazel. I don't know what her official job title is, but she served as part care giver, needed friend and confidant and even part mind reader. She was there for me 
when I had to play the role of patient and made me feel like less of a lab experiment and more like a human being. For that, I am grateful.

I say thank you to those who have not lost their humanity and still see patients as humans, humans who are more than likely angry or scared at their circumstances. Thank you to Hazel for being my nurse. Thank you to Hazel for truly, being my angel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...