Thursday, September 1, 2016

Fox 5K

"If you don't take the time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
Michael J. Fox
Being the optimist I am, I recently began reading Michael J. Fox's book, "Always Looking Up". I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the "Back to the Future" movie icon, but his words resonated with me. In his book he talks of his life and more so, how he's dealing with Parkinson's Disease (PD).

I don't currently, personally, know anyone who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease but the fact is, I may in my lifetime. Parkinson's is one of many horrid diseases that seems to have no known cause and currently, has no known cure. While symptoms of Parkinson's can vary from person to person, common problems include involuntary body movements. Quite simply, the body is out of the victim's control at any given time. Without permission, the body can shake and tremor, freeze up, or even accelerate in running-like steps causing every day life and routine to come to a screeching halt. Imagine not being able to physically do the things you wish, being trapped in your own body. Imagine knowing there is no stopping the disease or onset of further symptoms. Imagine that physical decline is just the beginning, while knowing that cognitive impairment such as dementia can follow. This disease scares me.

I live my life to the best of my ability and cherish the freedom to move and be active. I am not restricted by disease, yet so many others are. So many other people can't do the things I take for granted every day. So, do I need to know someone who has PD in order to help out? Absolutely not. I don't want to wait until someone I know has this disease to be a part of the solution.With that said...

Everyone can help end Parkinson’s disease. An estimated five million people worldwide live with Parkinson's today. It is the second most common neurological disorder. In the United States, approximately 60,000 new cases will be diagnosed this year alone. Again, there is no known cure. Together, we can change this.

On September 25th, I will be running the 5K portion of the Chicago Marathon/5K as a Team Fox member. That's me, doing my part. I need your help however, as I've been tasked to raise $300 to benefit Team Fox. Team Fox is the grassroots community fundraising program at The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF). MJFF accelerates high-impact science through smart risk taking and problem solving with a commitment to urgency and efficiency. I’m one of thousands of people around the globe who are turning their passions into Team Fox fundraisers to help them speed a cure for Parkinson’s. When you give today, 100 percent of Team Fox proceeds go straight to MJFF research programs.

Thank you for your consideration, donation and being a part of my team!
- Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...