Thursday, September 15, 2016

Blur

The past few weeks seem like a blur. I won't go into all the details here because there's too many of them, some good and some not so good (hey, that's life) but it's almost Friday and that's a good thing to focus on. 

I try to plan fun "date nights" for me and the Hubs to keep things fresh and fun. Of course, they always seem like a great idea while I'm booking the event, but when the day arrives, sometimes I'd just rather go plop on the couch and veg out. Despite feeling tired from a long day and week, and dealing with grey and gloomy weather, we both made it to Cook, Cork and Fork for Pasta Night.

Since we received a pasta maker as one of our wedding gifts, I thought it would be great to refresh my spaghetti skills, and for us to take a "How to Make Pasta" class together. Making fresh pasta is actually not a hard thing. Mix some dry ingredients together with an egg, let the dough sit, and then roll it out. Yep, it's pretty much that easy. Thank goodness.  I can use "easy" in my life! Besides the great taste, fresh pasta cooks within seconds. Yep, seconds, not minutes! Can't wait to get rollin'!


Last weekend we celebrated this guy's grandma's 93rd birthday! I love this photo of the two of them. He looks like a little kid playing ball (I mean, he kinda is!) and she looks so happy and adoring of her first grandchild. I can only hope that if I live to be 93, that I am still this mentally clear and physically mobile! She may be a bit slower, but she's damn fine for her age. Happy 93rd G.G. Angel! So glad I can be a part of the family and your celebration! 

Tuesday found me awake at 2 a.m because, knowing my alarm was going to go off at 2:30, my brain somehow had to wake me before it went off to prevent waking up my Other Half. I left for the airport by 3:30 and was Boston bound for work by 6. Thanks to United for bumping my window seat to a middle one, I got little to no sleep on the plane but, from what I hear, still kicked ass with my presentation.  

The best non-work related thing about the Boston trip was getting to see a game at the historic Fenway Park. I can't say I was into the game much as I'm neither a Red Sox or Orioles fan, but the nostalgia of the park and sharing it with some old-time fans that I befriended was well worth the trip. Watching David Ortiz (aka Big Papi) hit a double during what is to be his last season was pretty cool, but viewing the Green Monster was the highlight of the night! Knowing that under the paint and cement lays a wooden wall dating back to 1912 was just too cool. I may not be the biggest or best baseball fan, but I appreciate the nostalgia of the park and find these oldies a bit of long lost American romance from yesteryear. 

Boston also provided a brief viewing of the Old North Church and some other historical stops along the way of the Freedom Trail. I've never seen a city such as Boston and can see why it is so admired. It is a young and fun place, but drowning in visible history. I can't wait to go back and absorb more of what it has to offer. Only, one note to self, don't wear heels - ever. If you've never been to Boston, most of the streets and/or sidewalks are brick and not conducive to walking in anything other than flats lest ye be called out as a tourist immediately (which I was!). I topped off the trip with a crab meat omelet and bid adieu to the fair city. Hopefully the next trip will be all leisure and include a crab-roll (sorry Bostonians, I just can't stand lob-stah!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...