Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Walter

Car ride!

This is Walter. As I look at this picture, I wonder what he sees and what his thoughts are. Whatever they may be, I know that he is living in the moment and not thinking of anything other than this instant captured in time. He has no worries, except perhaps wondering when the next car ride might be. Oh, if we could all be like Walter.

Walter is a client of mine who I get to enjoy on occasion, not full time. Walter allows me an outlet to hug, love and take care of a dog without the full time ownership responsibilities. Taking care of Walter is a great experience in that I get my dog "fix", and right about when I think I cannot handle the responsibility anymore, my time with him comes to an end. And then the wait begins for the next round of Walti-sitting.

Walter lets me cry without asking why. Walter listens without judging and always knows how to make me laugh. Walter is a reminder that life shouldn't be taken too seriously, and to live in the moment, for truly, that's all we have. I love Walter as if he were my own pet and have seriously contemplated dog-napping at times. It is said that dogs have a way of finding those who need them. He finds me every time. He knows when to put his high-energy Boston hi-jinks aside and when a cuddle and nap is needed. He curls up, and fights to keep his eyes open. That's Walter. 


Walter napping in my lap...
It's a good feeling to know that his parents trust me with him. As they are empty nesters, this is their "kid". They trust me with his life, and couldn't bear to think of leaving him with anyone else but me when needed. It feels good that people have that kind of confidence in me as well as my training abilities. 

My time with Walter is time to emotionally decompress. Even though I am the one hired to perform a job, I feel like he's the one doing all the work. Well, except for the fact he can't drive. Walter reminds me that life should be about the simple things. Think and live in the moment, don't dwell on the past. Don't take life too seriously, pee every chance you get, play, eat, sleep, and repeat. Walter is my emotional retreat, and with that written, I leave you with this quote...

"I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source." - Doris Day




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...