Thursday, August 6, 2020

Day 143

I am big into inspirational quotes and memes. I hope between them and sharing some of my own personal "going-ons" that I inspire others in some ways. Whether it's to try something new or to not give up, I can only hope that what I choose to share via social media is more helpful than harmful. This image recently "hit me" recently and I thought I'd share.

What does the "Chess not checkers" image below mean to you? I see it as a metaphor for life. That life is a long, thoughtful and sometimes complicated game like chess and not something to rush through like the ease of a checkers game. Life should be thought upon before being acted upon. Let's all think through the consequences of our choices as in the game of chess versus jumping (literally) to conclusions and ill timed decisions as in checkers. If nothing more, let this serve as a reminder, much like the tortoise and the hare, to allow yourself to keep moving forward in your goals and pursuits. Forward is forward, no matter what pace! Life is in the long game, make it a great one!

2 comments:

  1. I like your explanation.

    To me, I think it is supposed to elucidate the distinction between long term strategy and short term tactics. It kind of fails as a metaphor if you examine it too closely, as the premises behind the heuristic don't really apply.

    ReplyDelete

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...