Saturday, August 2, 2014

Cowalunga 2014

Today I rode in my first Cowalunga bike ride! I choose, for starters and as a first time rider, the 18 mile, one day ride. I wasn't sure what to expect from such a big event (up to 190 mile/3 day ride) but what I got was so much more. I felt very welcome despite the large crowd of riders and truly supported as a first time rider, both emotionally and physically. I appreciated the encouragement from other riders, the "How ya doin' Lynn?" questions from the mobile SAG team, and the attention to my bike from the technical team throughout the route and day. 

The weather was beautiful and the ride through the northern farmland of Illinois (and into Wisconsin) was peaceful and serene. There was little traffic and lots of rolling hills and horse farms, it was simply gorgeous. Well, except for those two back-to-back hills that about killed me and a few other riders, but we all made it! (I didn't know I could pedal that slow up a hill!)

I am so happy I signed up for and attended this ride. I have to admit, the morning of I was a bit scared and thoughts of, "what happens if I can't make the whole ride?" went through my head. But I actually maintained a much better speed than I thought I would have (about 13.5/14mph) and can't wait to do it again next year! 
Best of all, today's ride leaves me inspired to take some bike maintenance classes and to become a more efficient rider. After all, I got miles to ride!

~ Ready to ride my first Cowalunga! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...