Monday, October 8, 2012

High Knees

I'm in the gym 5 days a week, and torture myself love pursuing the Cross-Fit class on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's always a different, and quite the challenging, workout but the warm up is usually the same. Warming up includes jogging in place, jumping jacks and high knees amongst other moves. While I don't mind high knees, the move has always left me wondering (quite like the lessons from my Alegebra class), when would I ever use this in real life? 

Today I found out! High knees aren't just for the gym these days, high knees are quite the evasive move needed to avoid the random garter snake attack! During my afternoon walk a garter snake came tumbling out of the lawn onto the sidewalk right in front if me. I mean literally, it was as if the snake was tossed at my feet! It didn't slither, it just "jumped" out at me! Without missing a beat (and suprisingly without a scream!) I "high-kneed" it like crazy to avoid the snake and ran! 

Crisis averted, all I could think was that this crazy snake made today's high-knees the fastest and highest they've ever been. Woo! Talk about adrenaline! My Cross-Fit instructor would have been proud! Despite the entertainment I'm sure I provided to anyone driving by, I'm happy I finally put to use my "high knees" practice. As for Alegebra, I'm still waiting on that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday

Yesterday I got up early and went for a 40 minute walk. Outside. It was 8 degrees. Sadly, this is just the start of the brutal Chicago winte...