Monday, February 6, 2017

Sensationalism

sen·sa·tion·al·ism
senˈsāSHənlˌizəm/
noun
  1. 1.
    (especially in journalism) the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement.
    "media sensationalism"

A post of not so random things that I feel sensationalism and social media has made far worse than its reality...

Politics: I have no problem with difference of opinions and those who state their concerns in a fair and intelligent manner but find it deplorable that not everyone can fight a clean debate. With that said, I grow increasingly annoyed by what the news, social media, and individual contributors present to the masses where politics are concerned. It seems that only Anti-Trump opinions matter, and that if you are not of the same mindset you are considered a number of things, including racist, unintelligent, and sexist. 

I find that most, not all, Anti-Trumps have turned their opinions into opportunities to outright bully others and spread hate. One example (and I have many) of this is witnessing a friend who is now afraid to speak their mind or share photos after being sent explicit hate mail when posting photos (on social media) of themselves attending the inauguration. I find it hypocritical that a side, any side, fighting for human (and more directly women's rights) is literally pushing others who disagree with them into a closet of fear where opinions that differ cannot be voiced. 

It is also highly disappointing to witness those who have not bothered to educate themselves base their opinions (and social media posts) on botched videos and fact-less news. I've witnessed certain people grandstanding in a movement that they know nothing about. I suppose for some, this is an effort to feel included and to be a part of "something". I disagree however, and believe that politics should never be a place of conformity, versus making an educated choice. Kudos to those of you who have done your homework and can speak in facts about your opinions and beliefs. 

A Dog's Purpose movie. Yep. A movie. Based on a spliced together video of alleged animal abuse, PETA is calling for a boycott of this movie. I have watched the video myself, and once again, shrug my shoulders at the sensationalism PETA and social media has created while not representing all the facts. I have been a pet owner for most of my life, I am going on my 10th year as a force free, positive reinforcement, professional certified dog trainer, and have volunteered with the Anti-Cruelty Society as well as an accredited zoo dealing directly with animals and education programs to the public so yes, I do have animal rights in mind as I am typing this. While I don't agree with what the video portrayed (a dog being "pushed" into water), I do not think it was abuse. If the video was accurate and real, at best I would say that the actions taken in it were a very, very poor lapse in trainer judgement and handling. Perhaps I am jaded, as I have seen abuse first hand. I have seen animals scarred and burned. I have seen animals matted with 10 pounds of excess, filthy fur who can hardly walk because of neglect. I have seen animals starved and beaten. So perhaps, I have a different opinion of what abuse actually is? But based on it, I still support and plan to see the movie. I believe that the American Humane Society, having been on set of the movie, backs and regulates their claims that "No animal was harmed in the making of this film" and wish others would think and investigate on their own before jumping on the boycott bandwagon. 

Update: A new video and article has come out stating that the previously released abuse video was faked. While I don't doubt the original video was spliced to appear far worse than it was, I still stand by my opinion that the trainer used poor judgement at times, but feel "vindicated" that there was no farther "abuse" as suggested in the original video.

Budweiser Commercial. During the Superbowl, Budweiser aired their commercial called, "Born The Hard Way". It is a story of young, German immigrant, Adolphus Busch coming to America and making good on the American dream. This has been interpreted as a direct attack on Trump's anti-immigration laws and finds many supporters calling for the boycott of Budweiser via hashtags all over social media. Perhaps I'm naive, but it's a commercial people! Think about the time frame it took to put it together will you? I highly doubt that it was created as a direct response to Trump's election or laws. I'm asking people to get out of their internet bubble and realize that not everything on TV or the internet has to be about politics. Stop sensationalizing the most basic data and making it something to be hated or banned (like clothing lines from Trump family members and coffee chains)  

And if I'm wrong? Then either drink the beer or don't, but then I'll ask that if you've used a hashtag followed by anything related to "boycott Budweiser", please take it a step farther and boycott every other item in existence that was created by an immigrant (and good luck with that one).  


3 comments:

  1. In the age of instant news and social media, things get spread around like wildfire, for sure. So I'm a big fan of fact checking. I am guilty of posting at least one thing (shared) that I did no fact checking on. It was about social security. My cousin kinda yelled at me about it and I deleted it right away. I'm more careful now.

    That being said, some of the things that are really going on right now really ARE bad, and not being hyped by media. We have a president that lives for attention and it doesn't seem to matter if it's positive or negative.

    I'm having issues with people that support him because even if they themselves say they are not sexist, racist, xenophobic... they're basically backing someone and an administration that is. I would never attack someone personally though, like your friend that went to the inauguration. Yeah, I might question them on why they're "proud" or supportive (because I've been trying to understand).

    The truth is, we're in a different time than we've possibly ever been before. What's going on right now is just bizarre. So much hatred is coming about... stuff out of the wood work. I guess it was there before, but more hidden. Now people think it's OK to just come out and be blatantly hateful. Religion and fear is starting to rule people more than facts and science.

    Sorry, I'm babbling. I don't like violence against people no matter what. But I'm starting to understand more why it was not so bad to pop that neo-nazi in the face. I've decided to just unfriend some people that I saw making comments I didn't like because I don't see this as "just politics." But I'm not attacking people. I sometimes question people but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, STEVE BANNON????? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I think I'm also having a a hard time w/ the people that are complaining about what's going on when they 1) don't care and 2) don't understand (but don't care to try and understand it).

    I saw someone snap at someone on FB (actually it was a guy snapping at his sister for posting political things)... and then he openly admitted that he didn't care about what was going on politically.

    Like, if you don't care... OK, don't care. If you really don't want to understand why what's going on right now is a big deal, go hide from it. But don't criticize people that DO care and have reasons for caring and want to spread knowledge. (And not fake memes or fabricated stories, but real things going on...)

    End rant.

    ReplyDelete