Sunday, January 1, 2017

Day One

Today is January first. I'm up, no hangover. I'm not sure how (or if) I'm going to clean up all the confetti that is currently on the floor (party poppers seemed like a good idea at the time). I've fed myself a healthy breakfast and taken my vitamin. I think. 

I plan on going for a walk to start logging miles for Run the Year 2017 shortly, and I am working on finishing up a book this week that I've been reading for quite some time. I'm looking forward to starting some new ones this year too, and am hoping the Kindle helps make this a little easier to complete. So yeah, that's me in a nutshell today. Me doing things for me. My "Me a Day" part of this post.

So what else? It's a new year if you didn't notice. My most challenging task will more than likely be remembering to write 2017 on documents, and to stay in a positive mindset when dealing with people less mentally inclined than myself. See? I'm being positive already, I didn't call anyone stupid! Well. Kind of. 

On a completely unrelated side note, Rhonda Rousey. I didn't watch her last fight, which she apparently got the crap punched out of her in 48 seconds but now, due to the loss, people are questioning her future in the sport of fighting. I haven't followed her since she fought whoever it was that put her on the 2015 proverbial fame map. I think her component's name was Holly? Whoever it was, Rousey put a pretty easy smackdown on her, and then gloated about it afterwards. There was no humility, no sense of being humble, just all ego. Her commentary in the interview that followed completely turned me off from wanting to like her and now, all I can think is, "what goes around comes around, Rhonda". 

I know you should never gloat or giggle at someone else's misfortune, and I can't say I'm happy about her loss, I'm indifferent. It's just...I guess if anything...a reminder to not be a gloating ass-hat to people because you never know when your "rug" will be pulled out from underneath you. I'm sure most will not consider her loss an act of karma versus poor coaching, and that's okay. I'll take it for the lesson I see in it, personally. The quote from the movie The Green Mile comes to mind... "I'm tired Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other". Here's to hoping 2017 is a lot more pretty! 

2 comments:

  1. Ew I hate gloating.

    Regarding reading (I have a goal to read more), what do you think of paper books vs. e-books? I tried the e-book thing for a while but I went back to paper. I think it has to do with the feel of the paper, the different font and quality of print on the paper. Sometimes the smell, too, definitely. Also, I like being able to highlight with a pen and note page numbers and easily tag pages in a way that makes sense to me. I'm sorry, trees. I'm sorry for betraying you.

    What do you think of that book you're reading? I thumbed through it at Target but there was something about it that turned me off (can't recall what that was). I recently got 2 similar books though.

    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought at first that e-books were "better" because I couldn't physically see how many pages were left in the book (thinking that maybe some times longer books leave me feeling a bit daunted), therefore the Kindle would "allow" me to read faster. But now, that theory is pretty busted as I've been reading the same book on it for months.

      I like paper books better though. I like searching for them, being in a bookstore, picking them out, the feel, the smell... but the biggest pro for my Kindle and why it will (almost) always win out is that I can read without having to find a space to store the books!

      I am still reading Michael J. Fox's book, "Always Looking Up" on the Kindle which, according to my Facebook time line today, I read in 2010 yet can't remember a damn thing about it?!?! Yikes.

      I haven't started the Badass one yet, but I'll keep ya posted!

      Delete